Sunday, August 21, 2011

If the Savior stood beside me.......


I saw this painting at Deseret Book a few months ago when I was looking for something for a YW lesson.

It really makes you think. Do I think of the Savior during the Sacrament as much as I would if He were actually passing it to me personally?

This 15-20 minutes are the most important in our whole week. Partaking of the sacrament of the Lord's supper allows us to repent and renew the covenants we made when we were baptized. When I first got baptized, I didn't really get it. I was so disappointed when I wasn't able to keep that sinlessness for more than an hour or two. I didn't realize that taking the sacrament with real intent each Sunday is as sanctifying to my soul as my actual baptism. They work together to help me make it back to my Father in Heaven.

The words to two different songs come to my mind when thinking on this subject. The first is:
If the Savior Stood Beside Me
Click here to see two of my daughters sing with other Young Women from our area for a General Young Women Meeting in 2007.

Here are the words:

If the Savior stood beside me, would I do the things I do?
Would I think of His commandments and try harder to be true?
Would I follow His example? Would I live more righteously,
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

If the Savior stood beside me, would I say the things I say?
Would my words be true and kind if He were never far away?
Would I try to share the gospel? Would I speak more reverently
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

If the Savior stood beside me, would my thoughts be clean and pure?
Would His presence give me strength and hope, and courage to endure?
Would His counsel guide my actions? Would I choose more worthily
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

If the Savior stood beside me, would I often kneel to pray?
Would I listen to the Spirit's voice, and hasten to obey?
Would I count my many blessings? Would I praise Him gratefully
If I could see the Savior standing nigh watching over me?

If the Savior stood beside me, would I comfort those in need?
Would I try to show the Savior's love in every word and deed?
Would I give to those who hunger? Would I serve more willingly
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

He is always near me, though I do not see Him there
And because He loves me dearly, I am in His watchful care
So I'll be the kind of person that I know I'd like to be
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me.


The other song I think of is "I Am a Child of God". The words originally said "teach me all that I must know". The story that circulates is that the prophet suggested to the author of the lyrics that it might be better for that line to read "teach me all that I must do." Now I have heard some say that it might be more appropriate for it to say "teach me all that I must be."

That is the purpose of life. To learn more about God and Jesus so we can know more, so we can do more, and ultimately that we can be more what He wants us to be.

No comments: