Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Jesus is Mighty to Save


Once when I was working in Primary, in one of the Sharing Times, the children were trying to find in the scriptures all the names of Jesus. When we see other names Jesus is called by or ways He is described, it helps to give us a better sense of what He is all about.

I think of this because, once, when I was feeling discouraged about the "sins which do so easily beset me", Mary Keller in a Young Women lesson, gave a scripture where it says Jesus is "mighty to save." I had never contemplated that before. I know I am basically a good person, but I sometimes get discouraged with my ability to improve myself and become more like Jesus.

On that particular day, I was feeling that I just wasn't Celestial material and I didn't think I could make it. Then when I heard that phrase "mighty to save" I knew it was God wanting me to know that Jesus could do all things, even save me. I need to have more faith and trust in His ability to save me from my sins and shortcomings and weaknesses. This phrase really spoke to my heart and everytime I hear it, I am reminded of this experience and remember that a loving Heavenly Father gave me a reminder that Jesus would be able to save even me if I will allow Him to help me and if I keep going even when it seems hopeless.

I don't remember which scripture she was quoting that day, but here are some scriptures that contain that phrase:

Isa. 63: 1 1 Who is this that cometh from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? this that is glorious in his apparel, travelling in the greatness of his strength? I that speak in righteousness, mighty to save.

2 Ne. 31: 19 19 And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.

Alma 7: 14 14 Now I say unto you that ye must repent, and be born again; for the Spirit saith if ye are not born again ye cannot inherit the kingdom of heaven; therefore come and be baptized unto repentance, that ye may be washed from your sins, that ye may have faith on the Lamb of God, who taketh away the sins of the world, who is mighty to save and to cleanse from all unrighteousness.

Alma 34: 18
18 Yea, cry unto him for mercy; for he is mighty to save.

D&C 133: 47
47 And he shall say: I am he who spake in righteousness, mighty to save.



I was just listening to the song Amazing Grace. It is such a beautiful hymn. It reminds me of something Bishop MacKay said at Youth Conference a few years ago. He helped us to understand what is meant by "we are saved by Grace". He said that in the Bible Dictionary it says grace is: the enabling power of Christ. So when it says we are saved by grace, it means that we are saved by the enabling power of Christ. This helps us to understand the statement, "We are saved by grace, after all we can do." This is also similar to Jesus being "mighty to save" so I thought I would include it in this entry.

No comments: