Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Gaining a testimony


In reading this scripture this morning, it reminded me of the first time it was brought to my attention. Craig Merrill, I believe in a testimony meeting, talked about it.
45 And this is not all. Do ye not suppose that I know of these things myself? Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true. And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety?

46 Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me.


He mentioned that people tend to think that Alma the younger was converted by his experience of having an angel appear to him. It is true that it caught his attention, but he still had to go through the same process we all do of gaining a testimony. There isn't really a shortcut. Remember that Laman and Lemuel both saw an angel and it didn't have the same effect on them as Alms's experience.

No comments: