Sunday, February 7, 2010

Follow the prophet


This morning I am thinking of 2 specific experiences where I followed some specific counsel from General Conference and was blessed for it.

The first is Pres. Monson's counsel to ask ourselves "What have I done for someone today?" It is such a simple thing to do, but really is inspired. We all do nice things for someone each day but I think it is important to actually answer the question each day. It is such a good way each day to think about others if only for a small moment. And it is truly doing what the Savior would do if He were here. In a tiny way each day we can be like Jesus just for a moment. If we do it every day, the impact on our souls would be huge. Plus, I was just thinking if every person on the earth followed this simple counsel from the prophet, what a different place it would be. Is this how the people in the city of Enoch started? It could very well be. They had to start somewhere. Selfishness is such a major problem in our world now.

I want to relate an experience I had from this counsel a few weeks ago. I made a sheet for each of my family members and challenged them to follow this counsel and write in their journal every day something they did for someone. I even told them I would pay them if they did it for a year. Well, none of the kids really took me up on it, except for Abby. She started getting excited about writing in her journal every day about something nice she had done for someone. A few weeks ago we were getting ready for the day and she wanted to go up to school with me. She was rushing around making her lunch so that she could come with me. Then I saw a little light go off in Abby's face. She started making another lunch. It was for me. She even added a little note. "Dear Mom, What have you done for someone today? Love, Abby". This may seem like a little thing but it really had an impact on me. People do kind things for me all the time but I don't have the words to describe how it affected me. It really changed my attitude for the day. When I look at the effect of this small act of kindness on me, it helps me to remember how someone else might feel if we go out of their way. There was a man in our ward a few years ago. His name is Jim Nelson. He would go out of his way to make specific kind remarks to people. It was always fun to see him coming your way, knowing he was going to have something kind and sincere to say to you.

I believe so strongly that this is inspired counsel from Pres. Thomas S. Monson that can have a monumental impact on us and those around us if we will make a conscious effort to do this.

The other counsel was from Elder Richard C. Scott. He spoke of writing down impressions and how if we do this, sometimes more inspiration will come. This happened to me last week. Kevin and I went with Courtney to get her patriarchal blessing. We were so thrilled to have this opportunity. There was such a great spirit there. But the greater spiritual experience for me came after I came home and wrote down everything I could remember from what Patriarch Macdonald said to her. It was like Heavenly Father wanted me to realize the importance of writing things down.

Follow the prophet. He knows the way.

These men truly are inspired. Look at their counsel. Are they telling us to do anything that is self-serving for them? No, everything they tell us to do is to help us be closer to our Heavenly Father and become more like our Saviour. I am thankful for their service to us.

No comments: