Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Another Book of Mormon message

As I have stated in a previous post, if I could sum up the Book of Mormon in just one word, it would be remember. Since I have recently finished reading the Book of Mormon and am now starting at the beginning again, another word has struck me. That word is mercy.

When I was reading in the last chapters of Moroni, I was struck by this part of a verse in the famous Moroni 10:3-5 scripture. This is part of Moroni 10:3:
Moroni 10:3
that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.


Actually, interestingly enough, that verse also uses the word remember! Anyway, as I began the first chapter of 1 Nephi today, I see that this is how the Book of Mormon begins, too:

1 Nephi 1:14-15

14 And it came to pass that when my father had read and seen many great and marvelous things, he did exclaim many things unto the Lord; such as: Great and marvelous are thy works, O Lord God Almighty! Thy throne is high in the heavens, and thy power, and goodness, and mercy are over all the inhabitants of the earth; and, because thou art merciful, thou wilt not suffer those who come unto thee that they shall perish!

15 And after this manner was the language of my father in the praising of his God; for his soul did rejoice, and his whole heart was filled, because of the things which he had seen, yea, which the Lord had shown unto him.


So I see that the Book of Mormon begins with mercy and ends with mercy.
I guess if you put these two words together, then the theme of this great book is "remember the mercy of Jesus Christ".

In reading further on, Nephi makes essentially this same statement:
1 Nephi 19:18 And I, Nephi, have written these things unto my people, that perhaps I might persuade them that they would remember the Lord their Redeemer.

No comments: