Friday, May 13, 2011

Weeping is a gift...



So, last night as I was crying at Courtney's choir concert and Casey was laughing at me for doing so, it made me remember an article that I had read in the Ensign a few years back. The article was called "Quick to Observe" and it was by Elder David A. Bednar.(http://lds.org/liahona/2006/12/quick-to-observe?lang=eng) The thing that stood out to me was a quote he included in the article from Elder Marvin J. Ashton. This is what he said that got my attention:

Let us review some of these less-conspicuous gifts: the gift of asking; the gift of listening; the gift of hearing and using a still, small voice; the gift of being able to weep; the gift of avoiding contention; the gift of being agreeable; the gift of avoiding vain repetition; the gift of seeking that which is righteous; the gift of not passing judgment; the gift of looking to God for guidance; the gift of being a disciple; the gift of caring for others; the gift of being able to ponder; the gift of offering prayer; the gift of bearing a mighty testimony; and the gift of receiving the Holy Ghost.


Anyone that knows me will know why this stood out to me. I had never considered crying as a spiritual gift. Wow- not only do I possess this gift, but I am very good at it! I am the best at this gift of anything else that I do in this life! What a good joke on me! Throughout my life I was thinking that my ability to cry was an affliction, and it turns out that it is a spiritual gift, and, according to Marvin J. Ashton, an important one!

…let me mention a few gifts that are not always evident or noteworthy but that are very important. Among these may be your gifts—gifts not so evident but nevertheless real and valuable.


Who knew? I am officially "gifted"! Don't hate me because I am more gifted than you!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you should definitely share this thought with my mom! I love this post, it made me miss you! love you and will see you soon!