Sunday, March 9, 2008

To Dwindle in Unbelief

The reading assignment for Sunday School this week has me thinking about the term "to dwindle in unbelief". It made me curious about the word dwindle.

Here is the definition of dwindle:
become smaller or lose substance;
To diminish; to become less; to shrink; to waste or consume
away; to become degenerate; to fall away.
To become gradually less until little remains


It is an interesting choice of words when it comes to talking about someone's faith. If you are not building up your faith, then you run the risk of it starting to dwindle. It (usually) doesn't happen all at once, but a choice at a time. Interesting that that is the same way we build up our faith, one drop of oil at a time.

I guess the opposite of dwindle would be build up. Here is a scripture that illlustrates the opposite of dwindle:
For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more;
2 Nephi 28:30

No comments: