Friday, March 21, 2008

Come Unto Me

I want to tell you about my experience with this scripture. I have heard it and thought it was a good scripture all my life, but the last few years it has taken on new meaning for me:
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30


A few years ago I was feeling discouraged about my life and knowing I needed to improve but not seeming to be able to get myself going. The General Relief Society meeting was coming up and I knew it would be good. I knew it would be good for me to go, but in the back of my mind I was thinking, "I know I need something to help kick myself into gear, but if there is too much, I'll be so discouraged I won't feel like trying and I won't do anything. I was praying for help at the time, too.

So I went to the meeting and I was so shocked that the message was (at least what I took from it) that Jesus loves us and wants us to come to Him and He will help us. The Matthew 11:28-30 scripture was brought up.

I was amazed that of all the things I needed to know and do at the time, the message from my Heavenly Father was to Come Unto Jesus and let Him help you. I was even more astonished when at General Conference the next week this again was the message. This same scripture was quoted 4-5 times. I have further been astonished to see that this same scripture and the theme of "Come Unto Christ" has been quoted in every General conference. I will never look at this scripture in the same way. To me, it is a personal invitation to each one of us to feel and benefit from the great love and help of Jesus Christ and our Heavenly Father.

No comments: