Thursday, January 20, 2011

Dreams

I am reading in Matthew 2 right now about the birth of Jesus. I have been thinking about Joseph, Jesus' stepfather and what a great man he must have been to have such a weighty responsibility in this life. I was also thinking about the impact of the dreams that Joseph that made such a huge impact on their lives.

Matthew 1:20
But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.


Matthew 2:13
And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.


Matthew 2:19-21
¶But when Herod was dead, behold, an angel of the Lord appeareth in a dream to Joseph in Egypt,

Saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and go into the land of Israel: for they are dead which sought the young child’s life.

And he arose, and took the young child and his mother, and came into the land of Israel.


Dreams are a big topic in the scriptures. This theme comes up a lot. It made me want to compile a list of times in the scriptures that dreams play a role:

Lehi-

1 Nephi 1:16

And now I, Nephi, do not make a full account of the things which my father hath written, for he hath written many things which he saw in visions and in dreams; and he also hath written many things which he prophesied and spake unto his children, of which I shall not make a full account.



1 Nephi 2:2

And it came to pass that the Lord commanded my father, even in a dream, that he should take his family and depart into the wilderness.


1 Nephi 8:4

But behold, Laman and Lemuel, I fear exceedingly because of you; for behold, methought I saw in my dream, a dark and dreary wilderness.




1 Nephi 3:2

And it came to pass that he spake unto me, saying: Behold I have dreamed a dream, in the which the Lord hath commanded me that thou and thy brethren shall return to Jerusalem.



1 Nephi 8:2

And it came to pass that while my father tarried in the wilderness he spake unto us, saying: Behold, I have dreamed a dream; or, in other words, I have seen a vision.


The lesser known Omer-

Ether 9:3

And the Lord warned Omer in a dream that he should depart out of the land; wherefore Omer departed out of the land with his family, and traveled many days, and came over and passed by the hill of Shim, and came over by the place where the Nephites were destroyed, and from thence eastward, and came to a place which was called Ablom, by the seashore, and there he pitched his tent, and also his sons and his daughters, and all his household, save it were Jared and his family.


I will fill in the scripture references on these later but there is also:
Daniel and Nebuchadnezzar
Joseph

And something for us to think about:

Joel 2:28

¶And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:

This post is a work in progress...

No comments: