Saturday, October 25, 2014

Come Unto Me

I have spent time pondering what it means to take the invitation of the Savior to "Come Unto Me".  As you know, this scripture is one of my very favorites and has great meaning to me. 

Matthew 11:28-30
 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

In his latest general conference address, Elder Richard G. Scott gave us some insight on this:

When we are consistently praying morning and night, studying our scriptures daily, having weekly family home evening, and attending the temple regularly, we are actively responding to His invitation to “come unto Him.” 

So when we are doing these things, the troubles we have won't go away, but there will be more strength available, more tender mercies along the way, and peace in the midst of trial.  Elder Scott also said this:

The more we develop these habits, the more anxious is Satan to harm us but the less is his ability to do so.

So along with peace and strength from God, it lessens the pull from Satan.

Here is the link to the entire address: Make the Exercise of Faith Your First Priority

Here is another quote from this gem of a talk:
Protect your children from daily worldly influences by fortifying them with the powerful blessings that result from family prayer. Family prayer should be a nonnegotiable priority in your daily life.

I love the strength and inspiration that comes from prophets and apostles at general conference!

No comments: