Friday, January 28, 2011

Thoughts on 3 Nephi 11, this time around.....

Isn't this a beautiful painting of Christ's visit to America? This is by Walter Ranes. I love his work.



When Jesus comes, His first priority is to give authority to baptize and tells how to be baptized properly.

Then He talks about the fact that He doesn't want contention about His doctrine.

To summarize: Be baptized and get along.

Nephi's reaction to being called by Jesus:
19 And Nephi arose and went forth, and bowed himself before the Lord and did kiss his feet.


In a nutshell, according to Jesus, this is what it is all about:

32 And this is my doctrine, and it is the doctrine which the Father hath given unto me; and I bear record of the Father, and the Father beareth record of me, and the Holy Ghost beareth record of the Father and me; and I bear record that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me.

33 And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God.

34 And whoso believeth not in me, and is not baptized, shall be damned.

35 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and I bear record of it from the Father; and whoso believeth in me believeth in the Father also; and unto him will the Father bear record of me, for he will visit him with fire and with the Holy Ghost.

36 And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the Holy Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are one.


He elaborates but keeps with the same theme:
37 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things.

38 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God.

39 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and whoso buildeth upon this buildeth upon my rock, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against them.


I never noticed before that He says we need to became as a little child twice in a row. Not just a child, but a little child. Hmmm- more to ponder about.
40 And whoso shall declare more or less than this, and establish it for my doctrine, the same cometh of evil, and is not built upon my rock; but he buildeth upon a sandy foundation, and the gates of hell stand open to receive such when the floods come and the winds beat upon them.



Here is more to think about in this verse, too. Building our lives on anything more or less than His doctrine is like building on a sandy foundation. Makes me think of one of my favorite scriptures: Helaman 5:12

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

No comments: