Friday, April 20, 2012

The very waves of the sea




When I read this scripture this morning, I was struck by the phrase "the waves of the sea". When I took these pictures, I was in San Diego for an education conference and some of us went down to the beach to watch the ocean. Watching those waves come in gave me a sense of how powerful the water is and how powerless we are against it. Then when I read that with the power of God, Jacob could control the waves of the sea, among other things, that made me sit up and take notice. Wow- that is power! But in the next verse, Jacob wants us to know that it is not us puny mortal weaklings that have can do this, but it is tapping into the power of God.

Jacob 4:6-7

Wherefore, we search the prophets, and we have many revelations and the spirit of prophecy; and having all these witnesses we obtain a hope, and our faith becometh unshaken, insomuch that we truly can command in the name of Jesus and the very trees obey us, or the mountains, or the waves of the sea.

Nevertheless, the Lord God showeth us our weakness that we may know that it is by his grace, and his great condescensions unto the children of men, that we have power to do these things.

No comments: